Software developers are a hot commodity these days and since their availability is really scarce, hiring remote programmers is becoming increasingly popular. However, even when hiring remotely, finding top-notch software engineers is not always easy!
But fear not, as this blog post will discuss where and how to find the best remote software developers, as well as give you great advice on what to look for when hiring them. You will also learn about the different types of freelancers you can hire, such as offshore or nearshore development teams. So, make sure to read on.
What are the benefits of working with remote software developers?
Remote working has become quite popular in the past few years. This is because there are several advantages that come with hiring a remote software developer, rather than someone who works in an office setting.
1. Access to top global talents
Working with remote software developers has the benefit of allowing you access to talents from around the world. This is because hiring a developer that lives in another country or even on another continent can give your company access to unique knowledge and skills, which would not be found locally.
When you search for talents only locally, you are limited to the talent pool that is only physically available near you. In such a case, there is less chance of finding the right option that fits your company culture and has the necessary skills.
However, by expanding your search worldwide for the best software developers, you will be able to access thousands of exceptional talent from around the globe.
2. Lower costs
Working with remote freelancers also gives you a chance at lower business expenses and overhead costs as compared to working with an office-based team or hiring locally. This is because you do not pay for office space, office-related expenses or other associated costs.
Furthermore, it is often the case that due to the availability of high-quality talent in lower-wage countries, it usually costs the company less money to pay salaries to remote developers compared to local talent.
This is especially true if the company is based in Western Europe or North America, where the cost of living is usually higher than in other parts of the world.
3. More productive and happy employees
Remote working also brings about another great benefit – happier and more productive employees! The fact that your staff does not need to commute every day, but can instead work from home or wherever they want is already a big plus.
Additionally, the possibility of remote work gives workers a better work-life balance and they can spend the saved time traveling with their friends, family, or doing the things they love.
This is not only beneficial for individuals, but also for companies, as happier employees mean more productive employees. Additionally, staff who enjoy working with your company are more likely to stay and improve your employee retention efforts, which should lead to better business results for you.
What to look for when hiring remote software developers?
When deciding on the best freelancers or other talent options available to work remotely, there are several factors that you need to consider:
- Location – first and foremost, make sure to consider the location of your developer. Remote developers are usually divided into three categories – nearshore (located in a country close by), offshore (located on another continent) or remote workers located within your own country.
- Good communication skills – second, make sure to find a developer with good communication skills. This is especially important if you are working on an international project as such team members need to be able to communicate effectively and successfully work together remotely across different time zones.
- Remote work experience – third, make sure to look for a freelancer with remote working experience. Working remotely is not easy and it requires certain skills such as self-discipline and organization that can be learned through practice or gained from previous work experiences in this field.
- Available resources – Look for developers who have the necessary tools needed for the job. It is important to know in advance if candidates have the necessary electronic devices or if they will need the employer to provide them. This will give you a better idea of the total cost in case of hiring the talent.
- Cultural fit – It is important to consider cultural fit. When working with a remote team member on an international project, make sure that their cultural background and experience match the needs of your company and its projects. This is important because it will help you build a cohesive team, which is essential when working with international employees.
- The programming skills you need – Last but not least, you need to make sure that the developers you are considering hiring can actually do what they say. To avoid wasting time learning that your developer’s skill set is different from what their profile indicates, ask them for an example of a real-life project they’ve done in the past or consider a skills assessment test. This will give you an idea of how competent they are at their job.
How can you find top remote software developers?
Hiring top remote developers is a challenge for almost every business today. There are several ways in which you can hire the best remote programmers for your company.
However, the most important thing before starting your search is to understand why you need these developers. Is it for a one-time project or for a long-term commitment? Do you want the remote developers to help you or take the lead on the technical side of your projects? Knowing the answers to these questions will help you choose the right types of candidates.
Now let’s take a look at the different practices that can help you find the best remote developers.
A freelance work platform is a marketplace website where people can earn money by offering their expertise and services. Service offerings range from digital marketing to project management. However, these platforms are widely used by software engineers.
Such websites are a good way to find top remote developers. On a freelancing platform, you will have access to a pool of talented developers from around the world who are looking for work opportunities.
Some of these platforms even allow employers to take part in a contest or challenge that allows them to test their programming skills and see how they fare against other candidates before hiring them.
Another great benefit of these websites is that you can see the reviews and job histories of the developers. This will give you an idea of whether they are suitable for your company or not before you even start hiring them.
Here is a list of the top ten freelance platforms where you can find remote software engineers:
- Upwork – Upwork is one of the best freelance platforms. The number of remote developers on this website makes it ideal for finding your next hire. You can search for both long-term and short-term developers here.
- Toptal – If you’re looking for high-quality freelancers, Toptal might be a good choice. This agency has a strict screening process that only accepts the top 3% of its pool of applicants.
- Freelancer – Freelancer.com is an established freelance platform that allows companies to post jobs and find remote software developers from around the world. The platform is very similar to what Upwork offers.
- Fiverr – This is one of the most popular platforms on which software developers can offer their services. It’s best for small projects with tight budgets.
- Guru.com – Another platform that allows employers to post jobs and find remote programmers or other types of freelancers from around the world.
However, the downside to freelance platforms is that they are not profitable for large-scale businesses. You will have to hire each individual developer, which can make managing your team of developers difficult. Similarly, these platforms almost always charge a commission of up to 30% of the developer’s salary, which could cost you more in the end.
LinkedIn is a good place to look for remote programming talent. It allows headhunters to filter their search for developers by the skills they require, as well as job titles and positions. Recruiters can also post a job advertisement on the platform where they mention job requirements, necessary skills, benefits, etc.
If you’re struggling to find talent on this website, don’t forget that you can always purchase a premium account and access premium search filters, view expanded profiles on LinkedIn, and much more.
There are several online communities of software developers where you can find top remote programmers. These websites allow members to discuss topics relevant to their industry and trade advice.
These websites also have a large pool of developers who can offer their services as freelancers. You will need to create an account in order to gain full access to the pools of developers on these sites.
Outsourcing companies can also help you find top remote programmers quickly. These companies employ thousands of software engineers and other professionals from around the world. They provide big businesses with access to a large pool of developers, often at lower costs than hiring locally.
Outsourcing companies are a great option when companies are looking to hire not just one, but an entire team of developers dedicated to their project.
The main benefit of hiring developers from an outsourcing company is that businesses can instantly hire talent without going through the detailed and time-consuming selection process. Outsourcing companies have recruitment teams on their payroll which can help find talented individuals and offer them on a contract basis for businesses who require their services. And since the reputation of these companies depends on the quality and professionalism of the developers they offer, rest assured that the reputable outsourcing companies dedicate the maximum attention and time to selecting the best talent.
However, there are several things to consider when choosing an outsourcing company:
- Explore if the company is investing enough time into recruitment before heading to them for help. You would hate it if you’re forced to wait weeks for a new developer to join your team or if the new hire doesn’t possess the right skills for your project.
- Check how long they have been in business and what kind of projects they’ve completed in the past. Ask about their portfolio of recent projects. This will give you an idea of whether the team is able to handle projects of the same magnitude as yours.
- Make sure you are comfortable with their payment structure and policies. Ask if you will have to pay developers hourly, monthly, or per project, and decide if such a pay structure is right for you.
- Ask the company how employee communication will be managed. Will the remote developers be communicating with you directly through Skype, Slack, or email? Or will the management of the outsourcing company handle all communication on behalf of its employees?
- Another important thing to consider when hiring remote developers from an outsourcing company is data security. Any business that requires a large amount of sensitive data should ask the company if they have measures in place for protecting this information.
MaxinAI outsourcing services
Looking for a reliable outsourcing company? We all know that finding the right outsourcing partner can be difficult and time-consuming, especially when you have no idea where to begin or what questions to ask.
MaxinAI offers you access to a dedicated remote team of software developers who can help your project succeed. We provide full-cycle services starting from project planning to deployment support, so that you can focus on your business while we take care of technical tasks related to product development.
We offer you full transparency into all of our processes including code reviews, bug tracking & testing cycles so that you always know exactly what stage your project is at and how we’re progressing towards completion. This way you won’t have any surprises or delays along the way – just better quality work delivered faster and cheaper than ever before! Fill up our contact form and let us show you how our service will strengthen your projects.
As we saw above, To find top remote software developers, you don’t have to go far. There are many online communities of programmers where you can post a job opening and receive responses from talented individuals who are willing to work remotely for your business.
However, if you are looking for a full team of developers, outsourcing companies are the best option and provide great opportunities for businesses.
To avoid any unpleasant surprises or wasted time, make sure that you do your research before selecting which company is best suited for your needs.
Like everything else, hiring remote teams has its downsides, but the benefits that come with it outweigh the drawbacks. On top of that, the current situation and way of working have definitely made remote work a new norm and we have yet to see such practices grow.